Watching Iconic Movies: Dead Poets Society

Written by: Avery Cook, Staff Writer

I have always been somebody who enjoys movies, yet there are several “iconic” films that I haven’t seen. Movies can earn the title of iconic in several ways, especially with social media inputting their opinions. I want to expand my knowledge of movies, leading me to this, a series in which I watch movies that I hear referred to as iconic. I started this journey with the 1989 drama, Dead Poets Society. 

Before watching, I had heard a lot about the movie as somebody who often comes across “dark academia” videos on TikTok. Dead Poets Society has been placed in this category because of its setting at a prestigious and traditional boarding school. I often enjoy movies in this realm, this film being no exception. 

The movie follows the classic trope of a life-changing teacher, full of nontraditional outlooks and quirky lessons. I really enjoyed this specific use of that trope because of how applicable it is in my life. The unconventional english teacher, John Keating, uses poetry to teach his students how to think outside of the box, both in and out of the classroom. As somebody who has an appreciation for literature and poetry, these were very interesting lessons to hear. 

This movie has a very accurate way of depicting teenage angst, hope, and love. The characters feel raw and reflective of the emotional teenagers we all are. Neil Perry is a student at the school that is under immense pressure to pursue a career in the medical field, something he is not interested in. The influence of Mr. Keating inspires him to pursue a longtime passion of his, acting, against his parent’s wishes. After the performance of his life, his parents tell him that they are moving him to a different school, and putting his acting to a stop. This disregard of his emotions and aspirations leads Neil to commit suicide, devastating his parents. 

Though this plot was obviously hard to watch, I respected it. It shows us that unorthodox thinking is more complicated than just breaking out of the mold. Our world is constructed for a certain type of student and worker. Despite our best efforts, sometimes we cannot break out of this. 

Dead Poets Society resonated with me because it was so much more than just a tale of students growing up and learning to think for themselves, something we have seen countless times. With this movie, we see the untold story of those who aren’t the exception and don’t get to pursue their dreams. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is yet to see it. There is so much beauty and emotion to this film that I haven’t touched on. This movie earns an 8/10 rating for me, it is a definite rewatch.