The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Catching up With the Eclipse

A total solar eclipse was visible to more than 30 million people as it crossed through North America on Monday.

The eclipse lasted up to five minutes in select locations, including Dallas, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Austin. These locations experienced the full coverage of the sun for a longer time period than other cities in the eclipse’s path or in previous years.

“Seven years ago, the longest period of totality was experienced near Carbondale, Illinois, at 2 minutes, 42 seconds,” according to NASA.

During the eclipse, the moon covered the sun for a specific amount of time depending on the location, leaving certain areas dimmer than usual.

“The Moon’s shadow will dramatically darken the skies into something resembling early evening, confusing animals and delighting human observers,” said by NASA.

The event was far more significant than others in the past with its path ranging from 108 to 122 miles wide rather than the 62 to 71 miles wide path in 2017.

“The path of totality – where viewers can see the Moon totally block the Sun, revealing the star’s outer atmosphere, called the corona – is much wider during the upcoming total solar eclipse than it was during the eclipse in 2017,” said  NASA.

In order to safely watch any solar eclipse, properly certified eclipse glasses are highly recommended to avoid serious damage to your eyes.

“Even during the peak of the eclipse, the tiny bit of the Sun seen via the “ring” can damage your retinas and even blind you!” said NASA.

The eclipse offered a rare opportunity to view the historic event. Maya Hanks, a student and resident of Powell witnessed the event.

“It was a really cool experience that I didn’t expect to look as cool as it did,” Hanks said. I definitely wouldn’t miss a chance to view the next one,”.