The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Breaking Records: Olentangy Liberty Track & Field Stuns at Freedom Relays

Photos courtesy of: Leah Yacob
Senior Lilly Engler competing in pole vault

Olentangy Liberty high school’s track and field teams competed at their annual Freedom Relays meet last Friday. The top athletes had an opportunity to show their skills as the boys placed second and girls placed first overall.

“The Freedom Relays is a special meet,” said Girls sprint coach James Dingus. “It  requires a full team and I think our girls did a really good job of showing their depth and their desire to win and I’m just really happy with the outcome.”

Vince Dragoni competing in high jump as one of the three jumpers from OLHS. Being a Senior Dragoni has loved the competitive nature of the sport.

“All the top teams from central Ohio come and show off the unbelievable talent so it’s awesome,” said Dragoni. “Being able to participate is an honor and I’m super happy to be a part of the team.”

Sophomore Hailey Starner competing in pole vault at the relays. She was one of the three top girl pole vaulters to compete from OLHS.

“My favorite part of the Freedom Relays was supporting my team,” said Starner. “I thought pole vault looked fun to try and I kept wanting to get better which is why I stuck with it.”

Junior Zeid Rabi running as the first leg in the 4×1600. He went on to get his personal record in his split.

“Competing on my birthday was super fun,” said Rabi. “The atmosphere was super energetic and getting everyone to cheer on the 4×1600 was great.” 

Junior Louie Perry competes as the third leg in the 4×1600. Joining Rabi, their relay went on to get the school record.

“I look forward to having fun in the special relay events that they only have at meets like the Freedom Relays,” said Perry. “I enjoy the energy of all of the runners there and being able to race against the best competition in Central Ohio.”

Lila Bendick launches off the board at high jump. She would go on to place first overall out of the 24 girls competing. 

“I like how freedom Relays gives you the opportunity to be really competitive with people at the same level as you,” said Bendick. “It’s a great way to meet new people from different schools, and the best part is cheering on your teammates.”

Senior Kennedy Elfers sprints through the curve as the third leg in her Relay. Elfers and her relays time not only broke the meets record  but also the school record.

“I will definitely miss my teammates the most,” said Elfers. “I hope for a chance at the state meet and break even more records especially with the relays.”

Sophomore Luke McFarlane standing on the podium with his relay. Competing in the shuttle hurdles his relay placed first beating second place by nearly two seconds.

“My favorite part about my relay team is how welcoming and supportive everyone is,” said Mcfarlane. “From the moment I joined Liberty’s hurdle team, I was introduced to everyone and, by the end of my first practice, I felt like I really belonged.”

Girls sprint coach Talitha Helmling poses with son Heath Helmling at the end of the meet. This was both Helmling’s first freedom relays with the school.

“To see the depth of both the boys and girls track team was very inspiring as a first year high school coach,” said Helmling. “So I’m really excited to be a part of this great coaching staff and great athletes who give their all for everything and it was really fun to see my son performing really well at his first Freedom Relays meet.”