The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Prom, Now and Then

Lana Del Rey, “The Grants” Song Review

On March 14, Lana Del Rey released the newest edition to the highly anticipated “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under ocean boulevard” album. The song is titled “The Grants” referencing her birth name, Elizabeth Grant. 

I wasn’t exceptionally shocked by the song itself, especially after the release of “A&W” which I felt was one of the most unique pieces that Lana Del Rey has dropped. Because she is admittedly a poet at heart, I often feel like Lana’s music can get caged behind her desire to produce poetic lyrics. My criticism of most of Lana’s newest releases is that they seem to be more sing-song poetry rather than true music. 

This made the release of “A&W” particularly exciting because it had a more balanced emphasis on both the iconic melodramatic Lana lyricism and interesting musical elements. 

The beginning and ending of “The Grants” were what I found to be most enjoyable in this new song. The array of vocals and the almost gospel-like sound created intrigue for the song right off the bat. However, the song somewhat fell short for me until the very end. I enjoyed the way that she referenced her family members like her “sister’s first born child”, who is also sung about in previous album, Blue Banisters track “Sweet Carolina.”

I look forward to seeing what Lana Del Rey has in store for the full album release on March 24.