OLHS Winterline Prepares for States

Olentangy Liberty High School’s winterline program is preparing to compete at their state competition with their show, “The Dying Of the Light”.

Starting in December, OLHS’s winterline program is full of dedicated students who enjoy performing. It consists of a front ensemble-with xylophones, marimbas, and a drum set- a drumline and a color guard. This year their show is titled “Dying of the Light” and features part of the song Hallelujah. The color guards are angels and their costumes have white and black angel wings on them.

The group has gotten through most of their show. Most of the year is spent cleaning up the messy spots in music or on the floor. Like most other instruments, practice is the most important role in memorizing and getting better at music. The dedicated students put in hours of effort every week to perfect the music of the show. They have six hours worth of practice, not including several eight hour long practices. The commitment to mastering the show and doing the best they can drives many of the students including freshman Kendyll Williams. 

“I have enjoyed my experience in winter line so much this year,” says Williams “the practicing and attention to detail will pay off when we perform at states. As long as we do our best, I think I’ll be happy with the result.”

The winter line program has seen success so far this year. At their last OIPA competition they placed first in their division. States is on April 2nd and between that they have another OIPA competition on the 12th and wgi, which is worlds on the 18th. 

“Seeing the show come together has been so fun.” Williams says, “Placing first at our home show was a very exciting and rewarding moment.”

States is at Wapakoneta High School on April 18th. If you can, support them by seeing this competition or other winterline competitions in the future.