September is Ending, but Pediatric Cancer Awareness is Here to Stay

Written by: Hailey Myers, Writer

September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness month. According to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 43 children in the U.S. are diagnosed with cancer a day, and around 400,000 are diagnosed in a year. 

Cancer is the leading cause of death for children under 14 years old. Even with treatment, 95% of survivors have long-term effects. 

So, why should someone be worried about pediatric cancer? The American Childhood Cancer Organization says, “Approximately 1 in 285 children in the U.S. will be diagnosed with cancer before their 20th birthday. Every 3 minutes, somewhere in the world, a family hears the devastating words that their child has been diagnosed with cancer.” 

Along with that, about 10% of childhood cancer is developed by a genetic mutation inheritance.

Local foundations are also very important to donate to. Two foundations close to OLHS are the Friends of Faith Pruden Foundation and the Sam Bish Foundation

Faith Pruden was a little girl who, in 2010 at six years old, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. From the Faith Pruden website, “The mission of the Friends of Faith Pruden Foundation is to raise awareness of childhood cancer and the gold ribbon, provide financial and emotional support to oncology patients and their families at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and award post-high school scholarships to students in central Ohio.”

Sam Bish was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in 2009, his parents only suspecting a knee strain when going to the doctor. “Before Sam passed he had his parents and friends make a promise. They promised to help all kids like Sam, bringing them Hope, Support, and Smiles. Sam is now healthy and whole, running on two legs again in his eternal home in Heaven and his story and wish lives on,” as stated on The Sam Bish Foundation website.  

Even though the end of September is coming, pediatric cancer is not being forgotten. It is never too late to donate to a cause that can affect anyone.

“Pediatric cancer is not rare. So many children are affected by this everywhere,” Rebecca Granata, a mother of a pediatric cancer survivor said. “We need a less invasive way to help these children recover from something so life-changing.”

Donating money is the biggest way you can help pediatric cancer. Here is a list of just some places you can donate to: