The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Prom, Now and Then

Lucy Depp Park Light Show Opens Up for Winter

It started with a few Lucy Depp homeowners talking about Christmas lights, and now, it prominently displays a unique drive-through holiday light show. With eight houses and spanning over ten acres, the Lucy Depp light show includes a half-mile show loop and custom mixed music, which you can tune into on a car radio. The show recently opened up again with the end of Black Friday, as a transition from fall to a spirited winter.

The individual lights are a huge feat; taking months to hang up, and countless hours to program the show. The show involves almost every tree, bush, or display having been independently controlled down to each light bulb/pixel. Nearly 80,000-pixel lights are used, and each bulb can be color-changed and individually controlled. 

Another enjoyable aspect of the show is the Christmas music that matches the flickers and timed shifts in the light bulbs. The rhythm of the songs is perfectly coordinated with the light shifts and color changes. The homeowners program the show themselves, coordinating nearly 250,000 channels down to the millisecond. If you tune to 87.9 FM, you can “hear” the lights as you drive through. 

A creative aspect of the owners’ show is their efforts in power conservation and contribution to the community. The entire show uses less than 50 cents a day in power and less than 20 dollars for the whole season. LDP has collaborated with Peace for Paws, a non-profit pet rescue group in Ohio; the entrance has a box for donations for the organization. 

The show truly displays a labor of love, and the homeowners’ dedication is shown in the captivating light show and drive-through experience. The LDP Light Show runs from Black Friday to the first week of January, from dusk until 10 pm Sundays to Thursdays, and until 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. LDP’s “address” is 9360 Frabell Dr, Powell OH 43065.