The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Prom, Now and Then

New Phone Policy Introduced in Liberty Art Department

It’s no surprise that in most core subject classes the dreaded phone holders are set up at every door with the expectation of phone-less classrooms. This year the art classrooms have adopted a version of this policy they name the “phone hotel”. The requirements for this are dependent on the lesson for the day. 

“Essentially the expectation is when you come into the art room you put your phone away in the hotel just so we can gather together undistracted for at least the first few minutes of class or any demos we do together. If it’s independent work time we didn’t want to take away the ability to do visual research or listen to music, so if we’re working independently you can get your phone back,” Mrs. Tyran, a teacher in the art department says. 

The only concern with implementing the phone hotels is the reaction from the students. Art classrooms are known to be laid back especially lower level ones so this is a bit of a transition for the students. 

“All of us were really shocked by the reaction,” says Mrs. Tyran.  “We thought there was going to be a lot more pushback”.

There was a very positive response from the students on the policy. Even if they were slightly annoyed, there haven’t been any problems in enacting the phone hotels. The teachers love it and have noticed it creates a better atmosphere for participation and artistry. 

Mrs. Tyran says “We’ve all agreed that it’s made discussions more enriching, we’ve had a lot more collaboration in the room and a lot more students I think joining in on conversations and contributing all around”.