Seniors Sing Their Last Song

Written by: Amy Westfall

Olentangy Liberty High School has their last choir concert of the 2023 school year coming up May 12 at 7p.m. in Liberty High School’s Theatre. Twenty-four seniors will be graduating this year, making it one of the biggest senior classes in choir. 

To add to the excitement, Liberty’s choir teacher Doug O’Neal, added a fun theme to the end of the year concert. This year’s theme is As Seen On TV. O’Neal allows students to wear whatever they want, as long as it coordinates to the theme and dress code. To begin the concert, all four choirs combine and sing a song to break the ice. Usually, this combined song has all students spread throughout the theater for a surround sound experience mixed with choreography and energy. 

Once the song is done, some choir students find their seats. Choraliers however, an all girls choir, fill the risers on stage ready to perform. There is always a specific order for each choir to perform to keep everything organized. The order is: Choraliers, Bass chorus, Liberty Belles, SOL, Treble Chorus, Chorale, and lastly one final combined song. 

Each choir is at a different level. Treble Chorus is the beginner group. Next is Choraliers, which students have to try out for. Chorale is the highest choir you can get into, which also requires an audition. 

There are also two acapella groups Liberty Belles and SOL. Each group requires an audition, and is very exclusive. 

Throughout the entire concert expect to see choreography, and interludes. O’Neal likes to hire a professional choreographer for the last concert and allows students to choreograph certain songs too. An interlude is when a student sings a song they picked, according to the theme, while each choir transitions on and off of the stage. 

Lastly, all choirs combine one last time this school year to sing an ending song. This year’s ending song will include an important message to the audience mixed with choreography and soloists. All seniors will stand in front of the stage off of the risers uniting as one for the last time. And attendees don’t worry about the price of the ticket, since it is a free experience.