What is Daylight Savings Taking from High Schoolers?

Written by: Annie Fields, Staff Writer

Now that the dreaded “spring forward” of Daylight Savings Time is upon us, many have been left tired and wondering why we do this jolting practice in the first place. 

Senior Editor of CNN Science and Wellness, Katia Hetter says, “Daylight Saving Time has its roots in train schedules, but it was put into practice in Europe and the United States to save fuel and power during World War I.” 

Journalist Solcyre Burga adds that, “Consumerism played an additional role, as Americans were more likely to shop if there was still light out when they left work.” 

Although America no longer needs to preserve energy for a war, and our consumers can shop at any time of the day via online shopping platforms, of all the numerous plans and proposals to implement a steady time, none have been able to eliminate the bi-yearly time shift. 

“The future of Daylight Saving Time remains in limbo,” says Solcyre Burga. 

One of the main reasons for this lack of action is that Americans are slightly split in terms of which time to stick too. Many doctors and scientists are arguing that Standard Time is a healthy route. 

“Morning light is essential for helping to set the body’s natural rhythms: It wakes us up and improves alertness,” says Beth Ann Malow, professor of Neurology and Pediatrics at Vanderbilt University. “Morning light also boosts mood – light boxes simulating natural light are prescribed for morning use to treat seasonal affective disorder.” 

I believe that most high schoolers would prefer their morning drive to school not be in the dark. However, Daylight Savings Time negatively impacts teens beyond making driving to school more upsetting. Melatonin release, which causes us to experience sleepiness, is delayed when we are exposed to light later in the day, as we are during Daylight Saving Time. 

Beth Ann Malow explains that this is particularly concerning for teenagers, “Because puberty also causes melatonin to be released later at night, meaning that teenagers have a delay in the natural signal that helps them fall asleep, adolescents are particularly susceptible to sleep problems from the extended evening light.”

Despite the many arguments supporting constant Standard Time, the future of Americans time changing remains unclear. For now, high school students should be intentional about getting enough sleep and implementing practices which promote relaxation as our melatonin release is being heavily impacted.