The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

MGMT Doesn’t Disappoint with “Loss of Life”

MGMT’s latest record, Loss of Life, comes after a lengthy hiatus of six years. The band’s name might not immediately ring a bell, but their songs probably do, such as “Time to Pretend,” “Kids,” “Electric Feel,” and “Little Dark Age.” Critics also adored their previous albums. Altogether, this leaves one to question whether or not Loss of Life was worth the wait. My answer is a resounding yes.

Loss of Life certainly stands out when compared to the rest of the band’s discography. The album is complex and richly layered, with unique instrumentation and lyricism; it’s very psychedelic. With this record, it feels as though MGMT have simultaneously ventured into new territory while maintaining certain aspects of their distinct charm. Here, MGMT unapologetically delve deep into themes of life. Take Nothing Changes, a rich ballad that might be one of my favorites of the album. The speaker laments the stagnancy of existence, and then, BAM! French horn.

This album also somehow feels both classic and refreshing, lending it a uniquely exhilarating vibe. It just feels nostalgic. “Mother Nature” reminds me of Oasis. Britpop isn’t all this album draws upon, though. Parts of it almost call back to the Beatles, Bowie, and Morrissey. That being said, the album doesn’t feel confined to one single era. It’s not quite 70’s, not 80’s, not quite ‘90s… 

I honestly listened to this album again after finishing it for the first time. The only way I could really describe it is mesmerizing. Although a shift in creative direction for the band, they clearly nailed it. “Time to Pretend” dominated dorm rooms in 2007, just as “Little Dark Age” did amid 2020 TikTok. Here’s to hoping Loss of Life gets its flowers, too.

That was all to say, MGMT is definitely back. 

Personal Ranking of Tracks:

1. “Nothing Changes” → Right now, this might be my favorite song of the year. 
  2. “Nothing To Declare” → Not bad, I just preferred “Nothing Changes” slightly more.
  3. “People In The Streets” → This song is stunning. 
  4. “Mother Nature” → The transition from “Loss of Life (part 2)” to “Mother Nature” is gorgeous. Still, “Mother Nature” stands on its own as a great song.
  5. “Bubblegum Dog” → It’s hard not to love a song with a title like that. 
  6. “Phradie’s Song” → This one is basically tied to “Loss of Life,” but I just barely prefer “Phradie’s Song.” 
  7. “Loss Of Life” → Again, not bad at all. I just liked “Phradie’s Song” more.
  8. “Dancing In Babylon (featuring Christine and the Queens)” → This was my least favorite of the singles that were released prior to the album’s release, but it has grown on me since then.
  9. “Loss of Life (part 2)” → I was admittedly confused when this was the opening song, but it clicked after listening to the album on loop. It’s just too short to feel as substantial as the other tracks.
  10. “I Wish I Was Joking” → This song isn’t bad, it just stuck out the least to me.