The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Solar Eclipse Will Hit Ohio on Monday

Ohio will experience a total solar eclipse on Monday, April 8 just a little after 3 p.m. for the first time since 1806. The moon will completely block the sun for about four and a half minutes.
It is rare to be in the path of totality and people are traveling to Ohio from all over just to see the eclipse. This eclipse is different from the one that the U.S. experienced back in 2017 and could potentially be more exciting.
“The path of totality – where viewers can see the Moon totally block the Sun, revealing the star’s outer atmosphere, called the corona – is much wider during the upcoming total solar eclipse than it was during the eclipse in 2017,” according to NASA.
It is important to wear safety glasses because the sun can be very damaging to your eyes especially on the day of the eclipse. Glasses can be found for a cheap price on amazon and other online websites.
“Viewing any part of the bright Sun through a camera lens, binoculars, or a telescope without a special-purpose solar filter secured over the front of the optics will instantly cause severe eye injury,” according to NASA.
The eclipse will run from the Southwest to the Northeast, starting in the Pacific ocean. Ohio, Vermont, Arkansas, and Indiana are appearing to be the states that will get the best viewing of the eclipse but all states should be able to see at least a partial eclipse.
“You don’t need to live within the path of totality to see the eclipse – in April, 99% of people who reside in the United States will be able to see the partial or total eclipse from where they live,” according to NASA.