The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Prom, Now and Then

5 Movies to Watch This Winter Season

5 movies to watch this winter season

Somedays, when the sun has already disappeared at 5 PM, you might need to grab a blanket and put on a movie. Whether you need a laugh, a challenge for your brain, a thought-provoker, or a heart-warmer my list below has anything you might need in a film. Get your fireplaces lit, grab your hot cocoa, and get in the wintery mood with these 5 movies!

Buy Elf - Microsoft Store

Elf (2003) – Rated PG – Comedy/Fantasy

Directed by Jon Favreau – 86% Rotten Tomatoes – Starring: Will Ferrell, Zooey Deschanel

Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) is a human who ended up in the North Pole by accident as a toddler. He was raised by Santa among the other elves, but while the elves remained miniature Buddy sprouted into a grown man. He travels to New York City to find his real father and runs into real-world scenarios which he uses his limited knowledge to maneuver around. Buddy the Elf is one of, if not the funniest character played by Will Ferrell which is quite impressive considering Ferrell’s long line of iconic comedy movies. For me, Elf is a staple during the holiday season and Buddy, who treats every day like Christmas, makes for some amazing comedy. 

Why it is a winter pick: A timeless holiday season movie that is all about Christmas 

Fargo - Rotten Tomatoes

Fargo (1996) – Rated R – Dark Comedy/Crime

Directed by the Coen Brothers – 94% Rotten Tomatoes – Starring: Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, William H. Macy

A car salesman, Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy), is desperately in need of money. His solution? Hire two criminals (Steve Buscemi, and Peter Stormate) to kidnap his wife and hold her for a hefty ransom: a price that her wealthy father will be forced to pay. It goes south when the criminals kill a state trooper and pregnant officer Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand) is sent to investigate. This film is a rare example of a successful mixture between comedy and crime. The two contrasting genres work together: the violence never feels overboard because there is always a comedic element to offset it. The script is funny and at the same time engaging; thanks to criminal Carl Showalter (Buscemi) and officer Marge Gunderson. Gunderson, played by Frances McDormand, is portrayed with infectious charisma that not many other actors could have added. The character feels extremely ‘human’ and is a fun protagonist for the audience to watch. 

Why it is a winter pick: Set in a small snowy Minnesota town during the winter seasons

Edward Scissorhands | Full Movie | Movies Anywhere

Edward Scissorhands (1990) – Rated PG-13 – Fantasy/Romance

Directed by Tim Burton – 89% Rotten Tomatoes – Starring: Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder

Edward Scissorhands (Johnny Depp) is a kind, compassionate character who has trouble connecting with ordinary people because of his hands which are made of long sharp scissors. He can do fantastic things, like carving bushes into beautiful shapes or giving people amazing haircuts. Still, he has trouble fitting in because of his scissor hands. Despite his obstacles- which could easily be used for evil- he remains gentle with the people he encounters and never tries to perform malicious acts. One of those people is Kim (Winona Ryder), who becomes a love interest for Scissorhands. His differences are rarely ignored or put aside, but Kim sees that he is a pure person who runs into difficulties from things he cannot control. In this movie, Johnny Depp speaks few and far between, yet his ability to communicate via facial expressions and body language is spectacular. Edward Scissorhands is a lesson to treat those with differences no different than you would someone without and he is one of my comfort characters.

Why it is a winter pick: Revolves around a festive, lit-up neighborhood during the holiday season

Knives Out | Knives Out Wiki | FandomKnives Out (2019) – Rated PG-13 – Murder Mystery/Comedy

Directed by Rian Johnson – 97% Rotten Tomatoes – Starring: Ana De Armas, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans

Harlan Thrombley (Christopher Plummer), an acclaimed novelist, dies of an apparent suicide which raises red flags for Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig). Maneuvering through a web of clues and a dysfunctional family, Blanc must find out what happened to Thrombley. Nobody is off the table for being a possible murderer, not even his kind-hearted nurse Marta Cabrera (Ana De Armas). Knives Out is a complex mystery that is far from predictable, it is directed to make many different characters seem suspicious so the viewer never truly can handpick the culprit. This kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the movie. The murder mystery genre is usually a worn-out story that has been told hundreds of times. This film, however, is an exception that is strengthened by strong writing, acting, and attention to detail. I highly recommend Knives Out for anyone who might want a brain twister this winter season. 

Why it is a winter pick: Wintery setting with a fun family dynamic

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - IMDbEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) – Rated R – Romance

Dir. Michel Gondry – 92% Rotten Tomatoes – Starring: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet

Joel Barish (Jim Carrey) navigates a rough breakup from his girlfriend who undergoes a procedure to forget everything about him. When he learns about this he does the same to forget her. It is by definition a fantasy/sci-fi and many aspects make that obvious, but it does not feel sci-fi in the way a superhero film or The Matrix feels. Instead, it feels very personal and dives into many interesting facets of relationships. The movie is told in a way that is different from the norm. As an audience we are not given a hero or a villain, the two main characters (Carrey & Winslet) both have charming moments and moments of the exact opposite. The writing leaves the audience with the ability to perceive characters however their mind pleases. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a movie that you can not forget about. I recommend it as it is deep and overflows with symbolic messages, yet somehow it manages to keep a fun quirky vibe looming throughout. 

Why it is a winter pick: The story is cold and dark-feeling, much like the weather in many scenes