The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Remembering Hoormazd Javidbakht

Reviewing Hoormazd’s final cross country season.

Hoormazd Javidbakht unexpectedly passed away on Friday, March 29, after a serious accident that occurred on March 14. Hoormazd was a member of the track, cross country, and choir groups at Liberty. Here are photos to remember Hoormazds’ final cross country season.

Hoormazd races on the final mile of the Highland Invite. He finished 93rd out of 267 total runners at the meet, that Liberty would go on to win.

“Hoormazd was one of the most selfless runners I’ve ran with on Liberty cross country. He was the textbook definition of what it meant to be a Patriot.” said his XC teammate Kellan Behrens ‘24.

Hoormazd races down a hill at Dave’s XC invite in Toledo. He finished the race with a 19:11.68 time.

“Hoormazd was a great friend, and would often crack many jokes when I saw him and he’d always come up to me and give me a hug or put his hand on my shoulders and that was really special because he was the only person to really do that.” said his XC teammate Ethan Novak ‘25.

Hoormazd poses for a photo with his good friend Luke Schmitt. Schmitt, now a freshman at Ohio University, became good friends with Hoormazd after his junior year of high school.

“I will never forget his joy, his laughter, his sense of humor, his ambition, his drive, and his love.” said Schmitt.

Hoormazd races around a turn at Eisenhart. Hoormazd hit a huge PR of 18:29.62 at the runner-friendly course.

“I was devastated when I heard the news about Hoormazd. Hoormazd was someone who always encouraged his teammates after races no matter what they ran.” said Behrens.

Hoormazd takes a picture with other members of the team at Les Eisenhart invite. He was known as a goofy guy, and was close with many members of the team.

“He was always there for me when things were hard, and never failed to make me laugh.” said Schmitt.

Hoormazd races down the finish at the Berlin Bear Den Dash. Hoormazd finished 45th out of 407 runners in his race.

“He made me realize that I need to cherish every moment with everyone. That you don’t realize how much you will miss seeing someone’s face, hearing their laugh.” said Behrens.

Hoormazd runs in the rain at OCCs at Berlin. He didn’t realize it at the time, however it would be his final cross country race.

“He was very loving, compassionate, and brave, and resembled everything a Liberty Patriot should stand for.” said Schmitt.

Hoormazd takes a photo with the team at Highland. He will forever be remembered as a Patriot. “I’ve learned so many things from this team I love” said Javidbakht ‘24.