The student news site of Olentangy Liberty High School.

Prom, Now and Then

From Pucks to Rings

Photos courtesy of: Audra Bell ’24

On Sunday, March 12th, the High School Men’s Hockey State Championship took place at the Nationwide arena between University School and the Olentangy Liberty Varsity team. Liberty won 6-2, earning the title of 2023 state champions. 

“When we won, it was the most ecstatic I’ve ever seen a group of people ever, “ said Brannon Spencer, a junior on the Liberty Ice Hockey team.

This is the first state championship won by a team from Columbus, Ohio. The Liberty Patriots were honored at the CBJ (Columbus Blue Jackets) season finale and at the Powell Memorial Day parade. 

“It felt like there was no way we could lose with the amount of support we had,” said Spencer.

On Friday, August 25th, the 2023 Hockey State Champions banner and ring ceremony were unveiled by the Liberty ice hockey team at the home football game. All of the members, captains, and coaches were named at the ceremony and given a state champions ring. 

“The amount of support we had from students was great,” said Spencer.

The hockey team had an incredible season and did a fantastic job representing their team and school.

“The day we won the championship was the most fun and electric day I’ve ever been a part of,” said Spencer.