Daily Covid-19 Updates

Win McNamee/Getty Imagies and courtesy of MSN

McKenna Christy, Co-editor-in-chief

Receiving government updates followed by news updates on a continuous cycle will remain the reality for the time being, and honestly, while these news outlets have been providing the population with much needed information, it is a lot to take in and uncover. Since stress is peaking among the majority, here is a simple daily breakdown of Covid-19 updates along with the measures the federal, state, and local governments are taking in response to the pandemic in the United States. Our main goal is to provide information that is easy to understand. Covid-19 should not be taken lightly, however, with a daily breakdown of updates, hopefully people can feel a little better- whatever that means for the individual. 

March 16

President Donald Trump and the White House Coronavirus Task Force held a press conference today. Here is a chronological summary of what was discussed along with President Trump’s answers to valuable questions asked by the press.

• President Trump mentioned that he spoke with governors detailing “new guidelines for every American to follow over the next 15 days.” As many American’s already have experienced, these include “closing schools and avoiding groups of more than 10 people, discretionary travel, bars, restaurants and food courts,” provides the New York Times. 
  • A “vaccine candidate has begun the phase one clinical trial,” according to President Trump. Today the first doses of a trial coronavirus vaccine were given to four healthy candidates. It was created by the National Institute of Health (NIH) along with Moderna Inc. (a biotechnology company). This experimental vaccination, “code-named mRNA-1273”  does not have the coronavirus in it. 
  • Dr. Birx, the coronavirus response coordinator of the White House Task Force, strongly suggests that not only should people avert from gathering in places with over ten people, but also in homes as well. She mentions that “we don’t have a vaccine or a therapeutic the only thing we have right now is the amazing ingenuity and compassion of the American people.” Therefore, in order for these guidelines to work and have an effect, all Americans must follow them.
  • In response to a question regarding the amount of time it will take for Americans to see a change in the current Covid-19 climate, President Trump reported that “people are talking about July or August, something like that,” if citizens strictly follow these guidelines. 
  • A question was asked implying the possibility of stricter containment measures such as “quarantine or a national curfew.” President Trump suggested that the administration is “coming out with strong suggestions.” However, they are not considering a nationwide lock down as of now. 
  • There is not an exact number of how many ventilators have been ordered by the federal government. 
  • There has been no decision made on domestic travel restrictions as of now. 
  • Dr. Birx said the task force along with other countries have found that in preventing the spread of the virus, if one person in a household becomes infected, then the entire household needs to self quarantine for 14 days. 

March 17 

Governor Mike Dewine held a press conference today in which he discussed his decision to delay Ohio’s primary. His request to do so was denied by a judge in Franklin County, however, he justified the decision based on a health emergency.

Currently in the White House, President Trump has answered questions regarding the current economic status with a plan. According to the Boston Herald,Congress is being asked “to approve a sweeping emergency stimulus package including direct checks to Americans to help businesses and taxpayers cope with the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.” The package would be around $850 billion.

March 18

Throughout the past couple of days a lot of confusion about the steps the government is taking against the pandemic along with the current climate of the coronavirus has surfaced. A lot of this confusion arises from what is being heard or suggested from the White House and in the press conferences, but the key source of information is taken from these briefings. Today we have been given more updates, and they are as followed.

• To start off today’s briefing, President Trump announced that he will be “invoking the Defense Production Act.” The purpose in doing so will hopefully aid in medical supply shortages said Maegan Vazquez of CNN. Two hospital ships will also be deployed to provide relief as well, according to President Trump. One will arrive in New York and the other will be in the western region of the United States.
  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is now working in “every region” at activation level 1, which is the highest.
  •  There will be more progress in expanding “testing capacity” because the current method is “not very nice to do,” according to President Trump. The new testing method would be a self swab done by the individual.
  • “The Department of Housing and Urban Development is providing immediate relief to renters and homeowners by suspending all foreclosures and evictions until the end of April,” said President Trump.
  • President Trump will hold a press conference with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) either later today or early in the day tomorrow.
  • Vice President Pence declared that there are now cases of the coronavirus in every state.
  • The border to Canada will be closed to non-essential travel.
  • According to Vice President Pence, the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) “is issuing a regulation today that will allow all doctors and medical professionals to practice across state lines to meet the needs of hospitals.”
  • Dr. Birx, the coronavirus response coordinator of the White House Task Force, is concerned with the reports and data coming from Italy and France detailing the youth and the coronavirus. She did not go into specifics or give any numbers, however, Dr.Birx has singled out the millennial generation and said “we need them to be healthy.”

March 19

Today, President Trump strongly stated that he wants the FDA to run trial tests for potential coronavirus treatments even faster. The New York Times has been providing information on the latest updates surrounding treatment for the coronavirus. Currently, “there is no proven drug treatment for the new coronavirus.” Although President Trump said in a briefing that there are drugs that run the possibility of being “game changers,” leading doctors have made sure to be clear that there is still a lot of work to be done.

March 20

It is likely that students are conflicted over how Covid-19 will impact the rest of their school year. College Board released updates for how AP testing will run this year. Although College Board prefers “students to wait until closer to the test date to decide, any student already registered for can exam can choose to cancel at no charge.” But also, “students can take a 45-minute online exam at home.”

Since there is some divide in how much “instructional time” some students have lost compared to others, the actual content in the exams will be limited to the topics these teachers have taught, which would be material covered “by early March,” said College Board.

On Wednesday, March 25, College Board will give access to students and teachers to attend “free, live AP review courses, delivered by AP teachers from across the country.” These courses will focus on “the first 75% of the course,” students are currently studying.

For more information on your specific course, click on the link below.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update

March 23 

On Sunday, Gov. Mike Dewine ordered his strictest issue yet to combat Covid-19. The “stay-at-home order” will begin at 11.59 p.m. and is set to end April 6, however, this could be changed.

For Ohioans, this means all nonessential workers working for nonessential businesses must stay home. According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and simplified by the National Law Review, those deemed “Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers” include some of the following.

• Those working in the healthcare and Public Health sector in places such as hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, “organizations collecting blood,” “mental health and substance use providers.”
  • Day care centers do not fall under the order as well as “businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged individuals…” According to the National Law Review.
  • Grocery stores and other food production services such as “restaurant carry-out and quick food serve operations.”

Here is a complete guide to defining which businesses and workers are essential. 

(This story is always being updated)