20 Things To Anticipate in 2020 ( Movies, Sports, Technology, Music, TV Shows, Politics, Books, and more)

Casiola

2020 promises to be a wonderful new year in the world of TV, Movies, Politics, Sports, Technology, Books, Music, and more.

Nick Sanchez-Zarkos, Writer

20 Things to Anticipate in 2020

-Nick Sanchez-Zarkos

Movies:

After 2019, a year full of numerous record-breaking movies in multiple genres of film, 2020 promises to be a year of influential movies of all kinds. 2019 was impactful in its variety of popular superhero movies, such as Avengers: Endgame, which currently holds the spot as one of the highest-grossing movies of all time. 2019 was also a year full of high rated animated movies, such as the long-awaited Toy Story 4, The Lion King, and Golden Globe Winner Missing Link. With the Oscars approaching in early February and a year of entertaining movies of numerous genres behind us, here is a list of 20 of the most anticipated films coming to theaters at the start of this decade.

• Birds of Prey- Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) joins a group of superheroes after a dramatic split with Joker in this R rated film expected to hit theaters early February.
  • Black Widow- Following her death in the most recent Avengers movie, Black Widow gives viewers a deeper delve into her past.
  • Wonder Woman 1984- Gal Gadot returns in this long-awaited sequel set to be released in early June.
  • The New Mutants- A group of young mutants in a secret facility come to terms with their powers and uncertain futures.
  • Top Gun Maverick- Tom Cruise plays Pete Mitchell in this film about a test pilot.
  • A Quiet Place 2- The Abbot family’s story continues in this dark and thrilling sequel released March 20th.
  • Eternals- Angelina Jolie, Kit Harington, and Richard Madden take the stage in the MCU’s much anticipated 25th film.
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife- Bill Murray, Finn Wolfhard, and Paul Rudd join in the newest Ghostbusters film.
  • Mulan- Following the success of Lion King, Mulan’s live-action remake is to release in late March.
  • Godzilla v. Kong- This epic square off directed by Adam Wingard should hit theaters by November.
  • In the Heights- Based off the musical by Quiara Alegría Hudes, this film about a New York neighborhood full of music and love is expected to be released by June 26th.
  • The Conjuring 3- The third film to the jaunting Conjuring series is set to be released in September and follows the story of two paranormal investigators.
  • Scoob!- An animated adventure surrounding the mystery-solving gang we all know and love, this movie is set to release May 15th. 
  • Artemis Fowl- Based on the hit book series about a young criminal mastermind, this Disney film is expected to hit theaters in late May.
  • The Croods 2- The Croods are back in the much-awaited sequel to the 2013 film.
  • Soul- Featuring Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey, this Disney film about a high school Jazz teacher will be released on June 19th.
  • Onward- Chris Pratt and Tom Holland are two elf brothers in this animated film about family and adventure.
  • Paddington 3- Although there is little information as to the plot of the third installment to the Paddington bear franchise, this movie will hopefully be released before the end of 2020.
  • Free Guy- Ryan Reynolds plays a bank teller named Guy who discovers he lives in an open-world video game.
  • No Time to Die- Daniel Craig returns as James Bond in this mystery/thriller set to hit theaters in early April.

Sports:

2020 Summer Olympics Tokyo

Beginning on July 24th and ending August 9th, the Games of the XXXII Olympiad will feature over 200 nations, 11,000 athletes, and 330 events, including four newly added sports events. For the first time, this year’s Olympics will be featuring events in karate, skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing. With Norway winning 2018’s Olympic games, the Tokyo Olympics are sure to be an entertaining and fascinating display of athletic talent.

NFL Super Bowl LIV

February second will showcase the annual championship match between two teams that are yet to be known. With 8 teams left in the NFL playoffs, sports fans are to expect an intense and impressive game. The Superbowl will take place in Miami this year. Tickets are estimated to cost $9,842 on average, and the game will host Shakira and Jennifer Lopez for this year’s halftime show. 

Other great sports events to look forward to this year include:

• Winter X Games 24- Calgary, Alberta, Canada January 23-26
  • World Track Championships – Berlin, Germany February 26-March 1
  • Golf Masters – Augusta, USA April 9-12
  • Tennis French Open Paris, France May 18-June 7
  • Summer X Games- Minneapolis, USA July 16-19

Technology/Space/Innovation:

As we enter a new decade, technology and innovation continue to be a large priority to the development of our country and countries across the globe. 2019 saw a series of advancements in technology, such as improved vaccination technology, an increase in lab grown food such as burgers, and developments with electric cars, phones, watches, and more. 2020 promises to have much more in store. Below are a few examples of innovation that we can expect to see in the new year.

• Great advancements in AI- Artificial Intelligence is the future. With handheld assistants becoming more and more readily available on phones and devices such as Siri,Alexa, and Cortana, 2020 is sure to bring even more capabilities to the vast world of AI. 
  • The availability of 5G Network- You’ve probably seen commercials promising fast 5G networks from numerous companies. While 5G was first put into deployment in 2019, 2020 will likely be the year that the new fifth generation wireless technology takes over cellular networks.
  • Advancements in autonomous cars- 2019 was a major reality check for companies boasting about their plans for a driverless future. With Musk’s Tesla leading the way towards autonomous cars, many wonder if 2020 will be the year these cars finally take the stage. This year the US Department of Transportation is set to make a decision regarding GM’s request for clearance regarding self driving cars that lack the required steering wheels. Other companies such as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have 2020 as their goal for putting driverless cars on the road. 
  • Libra- Zuckerberg’s Facebook is projected to release their form of cryptocurrency this year. Although only the rudimentary code has been released, we can expect Libra to make a large entrance in the world of online payment.  
  • DARPA’s flying Humvee- Although self driving cars may not be in the picture for this year, DARPA hopes to release it’s flying Humvee truck for military use. Who knows? Maybe flying cars will be the technology of the new decade… 

Politics

2020 is a critical year in elections all around the world. Elections will be taking place in the following countries and have the capability of changing the course of politics in each one.

• Taiwan (General)
  • Peru (Parliamentary)
  • Iran (Legislative)
  • Macedonia (Parliamentary)
  • A New Constitution in Chile
  • Serbia (Parliamentary)
  • United Kingdom (local)
  • Dominican Republic (presidential)
  • Ethiopia (general)
  • Poland (presidential)
  • Lithuania Parliamentary Election

Democratic National Convention– 2019 was a big year for politics. The midterm election was promising for Democrats in America, and this year’s presidential election promises to have a large impact on the future of this country, no matter the result. The Democratic National Convention will decide the Democratic Party’s nomination for President and Vice President from July 13-July 16th. The remaining nominees left that have the capability of receiving the nominations are former Vice President Joe Biden, Senator Bernie Sanders, Senator Elizabeth Warren, Mayor of South Bend Pete Buttigieg, billionaire Tom Steyer, Senator Amy Klobuhar, and entrepreneur Andrew Yang. 

2020 General Election (presidential): The Democratic nominee will go head to head with current President Donald Trump on November third.

United Nations Climate Change Conference: The 26th Climate Change Conference is expected to meet in Glasgow, Scotland in early November. Organized by the United Nations, the conference will be a meeting of progressive countries to discuss their progress on acting on climate change across the world. This year’s conference will likely be one of the most important conferences to date, with 2019 ending as a year full of fires, protests, and young leaders fighting for change.

Books:

2020 promises to be a year full of new and exciting novels and series. Below are the top 20 anticipated novels to be released this year.

• Hitting a Straight Lick with a Crooked Stick: Stories from the Harlem Renaissance by Zora Neale Hurston
  • American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Erik Larson 
  • Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare
  • The Lost Book of the Whire by Cassandra Clare
  • The Tower of Nero – Rick Riordan
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes- Roshani Chokshi
  • Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas
  • Uncanny Valley, by Anna Wiener
  • The Adventurer’s Son, by Roman Dial
  • Nightshade by Anthony Horowitz
  • If it Bleeds by Stephen King
  • A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes- Suzanne Collins
  • The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel 
  • Afterlife by Julia Alvarez
  • Cleanness by Garth Greenwell
  • The Death of Vivek Oji by Akwaeke Emezi
  • Blindside by James Patterson
  • The River Murders by James Patterson

Music

2019 saw new albums from rising artists such as BIllie Eilesh, Lil Nas X, Tyler the Creator, and more. 2020 will feature new albums from many well known artists of the 2000’s, including the return of some artists who haven’t released music since 2016. As our tastes in music continues to change and develop, 2020 will likely be an important year in music.

New Albums from

• Adele
  • Cardi B
  • Dua Lipa
  • Frank Ocean
  • Green Day
  • Kesha
  • Justin Bieber 
  • Lady Gaga
  • Lana Del Rey
  • Lecrae
  • Lil Baby
  • Lil Uzi Vert  
  • Megan Thee Stallion
  • Migos
  • Pet Shop Boys
  • Playboy Carti
  • Rihanna
  • Rosalia
  • Weezer
  • Yungblud

TV SHOWS

With Disney+ entering the stage and streaming services taking over the world of television, 2020 promises to be a year of intense competition from each service. 2019 saw the ending of long running TV shows such as Game of Thrones, Arrow, The 100, and 13 Reasons Why, we can all expect plenty of binge-worthy shows to obsess over in the new year.

The following new shows or seasons will begin in 2020:

• The Walking Dead: World Beyond
  • Space Force
  • The Morning Show: Season Two
  • The Mandalorian: Season Two
  • Big Mouth: Season Four
  • The Walking Dead: Season 10 part 2
  • Impeachment: American Crime Story
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • Murderhouse Flip
  • Better Call Saul: Season 5
  • Hunters
  • High Fidelity
  • Star Trek: Picard
  • Little America
  • The New Pope
  • Avenue 5
  • Bojack Horseman: Season 6 
  • Party of 5
  • The Outsider
  • Schitt’s Creek