Liberty students contribute to community though DECA

Ben Burton

Liberty students at the black out game against Olentangy.

Ellie Fowler, Writer

Liberty students Noelle Meeker, Skylar Follmer, Bennett Abeson and Parker Haney have begun their Community Service Project. They will be putting their marketing, entrepreneurial and leadership skills to the test by hosting fundraisers that will give back to the charity of their choice. The four are part of the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), a marketing class and club that aims to create the next generation of experienced leaders through integrating classroom instruction, applying learning, connecting to businesses and promoting competition.

The group chose the project in May of their junior year, and have been brainstorming and planning the details of the events since summer. They decided to run the black out tee-shirt sale for the Liberty vs Olentangy football game and the powderpuff game and will donate all of the proceeds to the Ronald McDonald House in Central Ohio.

“When families are dealing with the cost and hardships from childhood illness, having a community and place to support them, it can really make a difference on how much this experience takes a toll on a family,” says Meeker.

The group has also been working on a 20 page comprehensive marketing plan that will be used as part of their requirements for the competition at the Ohio Career Development Conference. Additionally, they will prepare a 15 minute presentation that will be shown to a panel of local business people. If they make it into the top four, they will move on to Nationals, which includes competing against high school groups from countries such as Canada, Spain and China. 

“We have many projects to choose from, but the ‘harder’ workers and more dedicated members choose projects that are big for us,” says Britany Thompson, marketing teacher and DECA advisor. “These four were perfect for the job.”

The black out took place on October 18 and the powerpuff game is on November 7. The students will be collecting monetary and other data to analyze the turnout and success of their projects.