HOMECOMING PART THREE- Liberty’s homecoming traditions

The+bonfire+at+the+Powell+amphitheater+on+Wednesday.++

Abby Turner

The bonfire at the Powell amphitheater on Wednesday.

McKenna Christy, Co-editor-in-chief

School spirit seemingly increases at Liberty the week leading up to homecoming. Whether a student actually attends the dance or not, the hallway decor and spirit wear contribute to an energetic atmosphere that every pupil is able to participate in.  

Other than being able to commit to the minimum spirit week activities, Liberty does not carry out any unique homecoming traditions. This year, however, might be the turning point with the replacement of a bonfire in downtown Powell instead of the school’s annual pep rally. And while homecoming events at the school may not remain constant in years to come, it’s notable to look back on Liberty’s beginning years to see if or how its student body shaped their own homecoming customs and school spirit. 

When Liberty first opened its doors in 2003, some of its current staff members were among the first classes. Ms. Zahran of the English department is a 2005 alumn at the school along with the first graduating class. Although only attending homecoming her freshman year, she provided insight on the contrasts between homecoming season periodically. 

The traditional dinner before the dance has not changed since the 2000s, but rather than having 20 people in a group it was normal to have six, according to Zahran. Homecoming proposals were also not a thing is the past, but besides these dance traditions that have since developed, Ms. Zahran was unable to recall any Liberty customs that seem different today. 

The ways in which the homecoming dance is treated by students is noticeably similar throughout the majority of high schools, but Liberty has and is missing its own twist on that week leading up to the dance. 

The year Ms. Zahran experienced her last homecoming season at Liberty before graduation, Mr. Waterwash prepared for his first as a freshman. Now, his role has changed to one of the social studies teachers. As an attendee of all four of his homecoming dances, Mr. Waterwash remembered the groups and dates he went with. However, comparable to Ms. Zahran’s recollection on homecoming traditions, Mr. Waterwash expressed that spirit week at Liberty was no different than it is today.

The increasing student body is a valuable component in considering what decreases homecoming tradition and spirit. Despite this, no matter the size of our school’s population, school spirit is what makes a school personal to students year round, and not just annually for homecoming. What made Liberty a success from the year it first opened was what Ms. Zahran described as students being “very dedicated to supporting each other.” 

“[Students] would come to volleyball games, everybody came to the plays, people would come to the orchestra concerts, [and] they would go to field hockey games. There was just this constant effort to be close.”