Summer Assignments Have Been Canceled

Back to Article
Back to Article

Summer Assignments Have Been Canceled

A new policy at Olentangy Local Schools has mandated that there will no longer be required summer assignments for students.

This new rule has had mixed emotions from students and teachers. However, the administration believes that this is the best thing for students in the summer.

“We discovered that many students didn’t complete the assignments given. This was due to students having summer jobs, traveling or enjoying their summer break. We wanted to allow students the freedom to enjoy their summer and have a brain break, so they are refreshed and ready to return to a new school year,” said Mrs. McMurry, the Director of Curriculum at Olentangy Local Schools.

Often students do not finish or understand assignments, which is why they believe this will ultimately help teachers during class.

“On one hand, we have gone so far in one direction withstudents being completely buried by summer assignments particularly, during AP classes, and I do think that that steals some sort of freedom in the summertime that is nice to have,” Mrs. Overbeck, a AP literature teacher at OLHS said.

However, there are some concerns teachers have that are associated with not having summer assignments, especially AP teachers that often use summer assignments in a purposeful way.

“As an AP teacher, thinking about how we have worked to refine what we do in the summer to be purposeful, to really serve as a foundation for the first quarter, I’m anxious about how I am going to make sure that my students next year have the right experiences in the right sequence,” Overbeck states.

Students as well as teachers are being affected by this decision. Some students feel like this is going to make the beginning of the new year more stressful, but many students support this decision.

“Summer assignments are kind of annoying because often I don’t really focus on the assignment, I just do it for the grade, so not having them is kind of nice,” OLHS junior Lauren Wagner explains.

Even though there are mixed reactions to this new policy, administrators believe that this policy will help to improve learning next school year, for every student.

“Ultimately it was an equity issue. Some students may be able to work entirely independently and others may need access to a teacher for learning to be more meaningful,” Mr. Fette, OLHS’s Chief Academic Officer stated.