College Football Column Week 2

Chris Shutrump 20' and Preston Oliver 20', Sports Columnist and Editor

Chris Shutrump 20’ and Preston Oliver 20’

2 Clemson vs Texas A&M- Chris Shutrump 20’

The College Gameday crew  travels to College Station, Texas to put the Tigers and the Aggies on display. The Clemson Tigers are in a awkward quarterback situation with a competition between last year’s starter Kelly Bryant and true Freshman, former number one recruit in the 2018 class Trevor lawrence. Both quarterbacks saw the field for five drives.  Kelly Bryant will start Saturday night but Lawrence is guaranteed to see the field. Young quarterback Kellen Mond will be leading the way for you the Aggies Saturday night as they try and get a jumpstart on one of the nations best defenses. Clemson’s defensive line is a scary sight hosting multiple future early round picks including Clelin Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence, and Christian Wilkins. The Aggies have also brought in first year head coach Jimbo Fisher. The same guy who has been scheming against David Swinney for the past half decade.

Prediction: Dabo Swinney and his staff will out coach the Aggies. Clemson’s defensive front will spend all evening in the backfield allowing nothing to get going for Kellen Mond and the offense. A&M stand no chance 38-14 Clemson.

3 Georgia vs 24 South Carolina- Preston Oliver 20’

The Georgia Bulldogs will get an early season test when they travel to Columbia to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. Georgia is coming off a dominating performance against Austin Peay. Jake Fromm executed the offense nicely with 157 yards and two touchdowns. Also the defense was dominant as they allowed zero points. However, they were playing Austin Peay, and South Carolina is much better competition. Jake Bentley and star wide receiver Deebo Samuel will be a challenge for the Bulldogs defense. Also, the rowdy crowd will hope to provide a spark for an upset minded South Carolina squad.

Prediction: The Gamecocks will keep it close after halftime, but Georgia’s defense will make a couple of late stops as the Bulldogs pull away late. 27-16 Georgia.  

13 Penn State vs Pittsburgh- Chris Shutrump 20’

Penn State coming off a nail biting win at home against Appalachian State last week will have this team ready to play and firing on all cylinders. Pittsburgh on the other hand soundly defeated Albany 33–7. The Panthers have always proven tough against higher ranked opponents knocking off second ranked Clemson on the road two years ago and second ranked Miami in the season finale just last season. A team that is not always in the ACC championship game hunt but it still worth keeping an eye on.

Prediction: Trace McSorley continues his heisman campaign on the road as the Nittany Lions roll over the Panthers. 34-14 Penn State.

17 USC vs 10 Stanford- Preston

The USC Trojans and Stanford Cardinal will square off in a pivotal PAC-12 matchup early in the year. It will be a quarterback showdown between JT Daniels and K.J Costello. Daniels is trying to replace Sam Darnold, who was drafted in the NFL after last season. Costello is trying to build off of his hot start against San Diego State, where he threw for 332 yards along with four touchdowns and one interception. Preseason Heisman candidate Bryce Love was quiet in the opener, but he hopes the running lanes will clear up against USC.  Three of Costello’s scores went to rising star wide receiver JJ Arcega-Whiteside. It will definitely be harder for the duo to replicate their success as USC has talent on the defensive side of the ball. Iman Marshall is a solid cornerback, and Cameron Smith is arguably one of the best linebackers in the country. It will surely be a battle on both sides of the football come Saturday night.

Prediction: JT Daniels will struggle early playing a defense that consists of NFL talent. Bryce Love will rebound after a rough performance in week one. Stanford will close out USC midway through the fourth quarter. 28-13 Stanford.   

15 Michigan State vs Arizona State- Chris Shutrump 20’

Michigan State and Arizona State square off in a late night battle on Saturday night Tempe, Arizona. Both squads had very different outcomes to their season opening games last week. Michigan State narrowly defeated Utah State 38-31 at home while Arizona State pounded UTSA 49-7 in their home opener. Arizona State’s N’keal Harry proved to be one of the best wideouts in the nation burning UTSA for 140 yards and a pair of scores. On the other side LJ Scott wants to prove he can be one of the best one of the nations best running backs after only rushing for 84 yards last week. B1G and PAC-12 matchups have always proven fun and so will Saturday’s.

Prediction: Michigan State and Arizona State will keep it close all game, but late game heroics by Brian Lewerke will close out the Sun Devils and give first year head coach Herm Edwards his first loss at Arizona State. Michigan State pulls away late 38-34.