The Patriot Tribune: Bre Yashko

Dear Freshman Bre,

Stop. Just for a second. Where are you? What are you doing? Who are you with? Think about it, just for a second. Because before you know it, you’ll be a senior. And that moment you thought would last forever will be three years in the past.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you should enjoy every moment you can, especially on the basketball court. Basketball is going to be a HUGE part of your life these next four years; it will have its ups and downs, but trust me, you will come out a better person for it and it’s a journey you wouldn’t want to trade for anything.

All I want you to know about your freshman year is that you need to hang in there. You’ll be fine friendship wise, but you’ll start to question your love for the game because of the culture you’re in. You won’t want to push yourself to be the best you can and you won’t want to put in extra work because you won’t see a reason to. Quite frankly, you won’t be sad when the season ends. But don’t let this stop you. Push through and know that better things lie ahead, just don’t lose track of your love for the game.

Sophomore season will be the absolute time of your life. Rocky, of course at first, but you’ve already experienced that your freshman year so persevere. You’ll get your chance to shine around Christmas time, so take advantage of it. When you earn your starter’s spot, don’t settle. Stay hungry and stay humble. Keep working. Know that you have a coach that would do anything for you to succeed, so all you have to do is go out and take what’s yours. You’re going to ball your eyes out when Dublin Coffman ruins your perfect season on senior night, but you’ll be even happier when you beat them in the District Finals game (Practice your free throws, they’ll be very important that game!!!).     

Junior year you will be feeling very good going into the start of the season. Don’t focus so much on what other people haven’t done, but on what you have. Trust in the countless hours you have put in the gym over the summer. Be grateful for the people around you that have worked to help make you better. Don’t be hard on yourself when you make mistakes; rather, think of it as having things to work on that will only make you better, not things that make you worse. You will have to take on a huge role this year so the better you compose yourself mentally, the more you will be able to enjoy the game rather than sweating the small stuff.

Senior year. Watch out. You will never like January 21st ever again. You’ll tear your ACL that day, but don’t try and stop it from happening. You’re the type of kid who always wants to be playing and you wouldn’t let Coach Krafty pull you off the court for anything. Regardless, things are going to be straight misery for the first week or two after tearing it, then again after your surgery. Let your teammates be there to give you a shoulder to cry on, and do your best to stay positive, even though that will be really hard for someone with your mindset. You’re going to ask yourself why this happened to you and why you deserved it after all you put into the game, but don’t. You’ll never know why this happened; don’t lose your mind over it. Enjoy the time you have left with some of your best friends, be thankful for the people around you, and love the game more than ever.

Because pretty soon all you will have is a memory.

BRE YASHKO ‘17

OLHS BASKETBALL