NFL Conference Championships Predictions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Patrick Mahomes (top left) and the Chiefs will play Tom Brady (top right) and the Patriots in the AFC championship, and Drew Brees (bottom left) and his Saints will face off against Todd Gurley III (bottom right) and the Rams in the NFC championship.

Jacob Myers, Sports Writer

NFC: (2) Los Angeles Rams at (1) New Orleans Saints:

3:05 Sunday, FOX

The Hard Stats:

• Saints favored at -3.5
  • Same record (13-3)
  • Saints 6-2 at home, Rams 6-2 on the road
  • Rams average 1.4 more points and almost 50 more yards of offense
  • Jared Goff: 4688 yards, 32 TD, 12 INT / Drew Brees: 3992 yards, 32 TD, 5 INT
  • Todd Gurley: 1251 yards, 17 TD / Alvin Kamara: 883, 14 TD
  • Robert Woods: 1219 yards, 6 TD / Michael Thomas: 1405 yards, 9 TD
  • Saints have three injured (Simmie Cobbs, Sheldon Rankins, Andrus Peat), Rams have zero
  • Over/Under is 57

Prediction:

Well, we made it. 19 weeks of NFL football has lead this moment (technically 17 for these two teams). The two best teams from the NFC will meet in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Sunday to determine who will go to the Super Bowl. Will it be the number one-ranked Saints? Or the newly-formed powerhouse Rams? That is a great question to ask, with even greater possibilities as the answer. To start off, the quarterback battle in this game is marquee. Jared Goff seemed to be a bust last year, but has blossomed into one of the league’s top commanders. Drew Brees may just be the most underrated player of all time, and is proving his worth on the field this year, also being one of the top contenders for the MVP trophy. These two quarterbacks have shown up when needed this year, but now the question looms: who will show up in their biggest game of the season? The answer: Drew Brees. Drew Brees has proven himself over and over again to be a clutch performer when needed. He’s won a Super Bowl against a strong Colts defense, and has lead his team to many great, deep playoff runs. Just last year, it looked as if the Saints had sealed their spot in the NFC championship before the Minneapolis Miracle took place. Even this year, Brees and the Saints got down 14-0 early to the Eagles, but he never let his guard down and scored 20 straight to lead his team to the ‘ship. But, can the Rams defense stop Brees? Of course they can, but will they? The answer is simple, no. Drew Brees could have an offensive lineman as a receiver and still complete a 60-yard bomb downfield, perfectly placed. Drew Brees has completed passes to players you’ve never heard of this year with absolute dimes. The Rams will put up a good fight early, just as the Eagles did, but as time goes on, the Brees gets stronger. Once the defense starts to get tired from endless pash rushes to try to disrupt a shaky offensive line, Brees will find a way to get players involved. Believe me, if the Rams D can step up, they win. But clutch Drew Brees comes through, and the Saints will win a shootout battle.

Key Matchups:

• Rams D-Line vs. Saints O-Line
  • Michael Thomas vs. Aqib Talib
  • Jared Goff vs. The Pressure of the Moment

Final Score:

42-37 Saints.

AFC: (2) New England Patriots at (1) Kansas City Chiefs:

6:40 Sunday, CBS

The Hard Stats:

• Chiefs favored at -3
  • Patriots are 3-5 on the road, Chiefs are 7-1 at home
  • Chiefs average eight more points and 50 more yards passing
  • Tom Brady: 4335 yards, 29 TD, 11 INT / Pat Mahomes: 5097 yards, 50 TD, 12 INT
  • Sony Michel: 931 yards, 6 TD / Kareem Hunt (released): 824 yards, 7 TD
  • Julian Edelman: 850 yards, 6 TD / Tyreek Hill: 1479 yards, 12 TD
  • New England has no injured players, Chiefs have three (Dorian O’Daniel, Eric Berry, Spencer Ware)
  • Over/Under is 57.5
  • Chiefs have a 66.8% FPI chance to win

Prediction:

The Patriots find a way. It’s amazing that it’s been eight straight years of pure dominance. In case you didn’t know, the Patriots have been to eight straight AFC championship games, all with Tom Brady leading the charge and Bill Belichick calling the shots. But as much as I can commend the Patriots for making it again, the same amount of praise should go to the Chiefs. So much hysteria has surrounded the Chiefs for always choking in the playoffs, and Pat Mahomes and his crew deserves lots of praise for blowing out a hot Colts team and getting to this point. No one can forget Andrew Luck’s amazing comeback against the Chiefs a couple years back, and all props to the Chiefs for not choking. I know that can be seen as an insult, but they do deserve recognition for shedding a negative image. Now, that brings me to who I believe will win. I hate to say it, but I’m going to go with the Patriots. They are an experienced squad throughout and have time and time proven that they can win, defying any odds. Here’s a stat for you: Tom Brady has won more playoff games than any other quarterback in NFL history has started (he has 29 wins, Peyton Manning appeared in 28 games). In Tom’s career, he has won five Super Bowls, and is looking for a shot back. The Patriots defense is tough and proven in clutch games this year, including week six against the Chiefs. There have been times when they have seemed like they have given up (the Miami Miracle), but in the biggest of moments (when Gronk isn’t playing safety), they step up. In a close one, Tom will come on top to his next Super Bowl.

Key Matchups:

• Julian Edelman vs. Chiefs corners
  • Sony Michel vs. the pressure
  • Patrick Mahomes vs. the Patriots D
  • Chiefs offense vs. Patriots defense

Final Score:

26-24 Patriots.

About the Writer
Jacob Myers, Sports Writer

Hi, I'm Jacob Myers, a Junior and a proud* Browns and Cavaliers fan. Unfortunately, I always think the Browns can win a game even though there is absolutely...