College Football Bowl Game Predictions 2018-19

A  College Football Playoff National Championship Trophy is seen on the field before the Cotton Bowl NCAA college football semifinal playoff game between Alabama and Michigan State, Thursday, Dec. 31, 2015, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

AP

A College Football Playoff National Championship Trophy is seen on the field before the Cotton Bowl NCAA college football semifinal playoff game between Alabama and Michigan State, Thursday, Dec. 31, 2015, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

Chris Shutrump, Staff Writer

Chris Shutrump 20’ (24-11)

Rose Bowl- 6 Ohio State vs 9 Washington

The Rose Bowl will go back to its traditional setup of the B1G champion playing the PAC 12 champion due to the new College Football Playoff system. This will be the first since Michigan State squared off with Stanford in 2014. Ohio State will enter this matchup disappointed after another playoff snub while Washington is flying high after winning its conference championship. Both teams come into this game riding winning streaks. The Huskies have won four in a row while Ohio State has won its last five. Dwayne Haskins will come into this one motivated and ready for the biggest game of his career, and the biggest decision of his life looming. Declare for the NFL or finish what he started at Ohio State. No matter what Haskins decides, it is crucial he brings home the Rose Bowl title before potentially bolting for the pros.

Prediction: Ohio State finishes the season strong, handles Washington; 38-20 Buckeyes.

Sugar Bowl- 5 Georgia vs 15 Texas

Both Georgia and Texas are coming off conference championship game losses, and look to prove themselves in a New Year’s Six bowl game. For the Bulldogs, they were nearly a playoff team despite their lat second collapse at the hands of the Crimson Tide handing them their second loss. Spectators still think that Georgia deserved to be one of the top four teams even with a second loss. Whether Georgia deserves to a playoff team or not, this further proves the many flaws in the College Football Playoff system. I believe that the Bulldogs landed right where they should be in the Sugar Bowl matchup with Tom Herman’s Longhorns. Maybe even a little bit of a generous spot in the latest rankings. Texas, on the other hand, is placed in the Allstate Sugar Bowl very precariously. It is very clear that Texas is put in this game purely because of their brand name. All things considered, this team could very well finish with five losses. So many may ask why they were put in this slot in the first place. All things aside this will make for a great game on New Year’s day.

Prediction: Georgia reclaims its dominance; 44-28 Bulldogs.

Orange Bowl- 1 Alabama vs 4 Oklahoma

Alabama steps into this one making their fifth straight CFP appearance becoming the only team to do so. Kyler Murray is currently thriving coming off a Big 12 championship and a Heisman trophy. On the other side of things, Tua Tagovailoa injured his ankle in the SEC championship being replaced by Jalen Hurts. We do not know the current status of Tagovailoa, but it shouldn’t matter much who is under center for Nick Saban because they have proven successful with both guys. Still, this one should be interesting considering the potential absence of Tua. This will allow Kyler Murray to take advantage of every opportunity he is given. Murray will lead this historical Oklahoma offense to the National Championship.

Prediction: Kyler Murray will not only hoist a Heisman this season, but an Orange Bowl title as well; 56-48 Oklahoma Sooners.

Cotton Bowl- 2 Clemson vs 3 Notre Dame

In this national semifinal, it looks like a mismatch. Notre Dame certainly does not have to athletes or personnel to keep up with Clemson. The Tigers have looked nearly unstoppable this season with their only real challenge against Syracuse when Trevor Lawrence went down. This one will certainly be one to keep your eyes on and will be much closer than the experts think.

Prediction: This one will be closer than the experts think, Notre Dame will certainly give Tigers a run for their money. Will it be enough? Clemson edges out the Irish; 21-17 Tigers.

The Natty – 2 Clemson vs 4 Oklahoma

This is a National title game that no one really expects to see which makes it all the better. Oklahoma boasts one of the greatest offenses of all time along with their second straight Heisman winner Kyler Murray. Clemson on the other hand, sports youth such as Freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence and pieces on the outside like Justyn Ross and Tee Higgins. This will be a change of scenery not seeing Alabama in the championship, but it will make for more competition across college football. This one will come down to a pure battle between Murray and the stout defense of Clemson. We’re in for a good one.

Prediction: Clemson’s clutch defense holds off Kyler Murray and the Sooners as Dabo wins his second Natty in three years; 34-30 Clemson.  

Preston Oliver 20’ (27-8)

Peach Bowl- 10 Florida vs 7 Michigan

For both of these teams, their seasons ended in disappointment. Florida had a successful regular season, but they were not able to take down Georgia and make the SEC Championship game. But I’m sure that first-year head coach Dan Mullen will be more than happy to play in the Peach Bowl on December 29th. Michigan was in a position to make the College Football Playoff entering week 13. But they lost to the Ohio State Buckeyes and missed a chance to play in the

Big Ten championship game. Despite these disappointing finishes, this should be a solid game full of NFL caliber players. Michigan’s dynamic rushing attack will battle Florida’s vicious defensive line led by star defensive end Jachai Polite. He will be a first-round pick in April, and he will be a problem for this Wolverine offensive line. Michigan’s defense is very good itself, as it ranked first in the country prior to the Ohio State game. They are led by AP All American linebacker Devin Bush, along with draft prospects such as Chase Winovich and Rashan Gary. This game will be a defensive slugfest, and the winner will have to earn this one.

Prediction: Michigan makes a key interception late in this game, as Harbaugh wins his first New Year’s six-game as a Michigan coach. 21-16 Wolverines.

Fiesta Bowl: LSU vs UCF

UCF’s season will be defined by this game, as they will have the chance to go 13-0 for the second straight season. They hope to get similar production out of their current quarterback Darriel Mack Jr, as he led the Knights to a second straight American Championship. However, LSU is much better than any of the opponents that UCF has faced all season. They went 9-3 with a schedule that featured some of the toughest SEC schools such as Alabama and Georgia. While UCF was able to defeat Auburn in the Peach Bowl a season ago, the magic will run out for them this season.

Prediction: LSU establishes a run game and an early lead and never look back in a commanding victory over the Golden Knights. 36-17 LSU.

Orange Bowl: Oklahoma vs Alabama

These two powerhouses will square off in what is likely the most hyped game outside of the National Championship. Two of the three Heisman finalists will play each other for a chance at the national championship. Tua Tagovailoa and Kyler Murray are two of the best in the game and will put on an offensive show in this one. It will come down to a stop by one of the defenses, and Alabama clearly has a better defense.

Prediction: Alabama gets a clutch stop late, beating Oklahoma in a thriller. 45-38 Alabama.

Cotton Bowl: Notre Dame vs Clemson

In the first playoff game where two undefeated teams play each other, the stakes are very high. Obviously, a national title appearance is on the line, but the pride of being undefeated is also on the line. No college football champion in the playoff era has finished undefeated, and both teams have the chance to do so. Also, Clemson is playing for their second national title while Notre Dame seems their first. When it comes down to it, Clemson has more talent than the Irish and will come out on top.

Prediction: Clemson outlasts Notre Dame in a slug-fest thanks to some solid defensive play. 20-13 Clemson.

The Natty: Clemson vs Alabama

This is a matchup that, personally, I don’t want to see, as we have seen it three years in a row and could potentially see it a fourth time in the championship game. To me, college football lacks parity and I want to see different teams competing for a championship. However, credit these two teams for being consistent winners with great coaching and recruiting that has gotten them to this point. Alabama has a great offense and Clemson has a great defense. It will come down to whether Clemson’s offense can generate points without committing any turnovers. They will, and will spoil the Tide’s title hopes.

Prediction: Clemson stops Tua on the final possession clinching their second national title in three years. 34-31 Clemson.

About the Writer
Chris Shutrump, Sports Writer & Editor

Howdy, my name is Chris and my best friend's are Ben Belinger and Preston Oliver!