College Football Championship Week Predictions

By: Chris Shutrump 20’ (22-10) and Preston Oliver 20’ (24-8)

AP
FILE – In this Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018, file photo, Alabama wide receivers DeVonta Smith (6) and Henry Ruggs III (11) celebrate a touchdown reception by Ruggs during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Auburn in Tuscaloosa, Ala. The Tide hasn’t had a Top 15 offense under coach Nick Saban. Enter Tua Tagovailoa. And Jerry Jeudy. And fellow receivers Henry Ruggs III, DeVonta Smith and freshman Jaylen Waddle. Plus tight end Irv Smith Jr. Not to mention tailbacks Damien Harris, Najee Harris and Josh Jacobs. (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt, File)

17 Utah vs 11 Washington- Chris Shutrump 20’

Utah and Washington will square off in the PAC 12 championship for what has been an off season for the conference. The Huskies come into this match up hot after a key victory on the road at Washington State bouncing them from Playoff talks. Jake Browning has led the Huskies for the past three seasons and has plenty of experience doing so. On the other hand, Utah is starting Freshman quarterback Jason Shelley who is not as polished as Browning.

Prediction: Washington will have their fun offensively against Utah; 31-18 Huskies.

14 Texas vs 5 Oklahoma- Chris Shutrump 20’

College football is lucky to see such a storied rivalry two times this season. The Red River Rivalry takes place in Dallas, Texas at noon. Texas stole the first game on a walk off field goal in the final seconds sealing the victory 45-42. If there is one thing we have learned about the Big 12 it’s that the league is all offense. College football has entered a new age of air-raid, up-tempo, and fast paced offense. This change has been made for the better making it all the more exciting. Every inch of me wants to take the three time defending Big 12 champs, but it’s a new day in age and Texas is back.

Prediction: Horns win in a close one; 48-44 Texas.

Memphis vs 8 UCF- Preston Oliver 20’

If you asked me a week ago who would win this game, I would’ve told you UCF with no doubt. If you ask me today who I think will win this American Athletic Conference championship, I would likely side with Memphis. Almost one week ago, UCF lost their star quarterback McKenzie Milton to a gruesome knee injury. He is out for the season and will likely never play football again. Luckily for him and his family, he will likely be able to walk normally after he receives reconstructive surgery on his knee. But back to the game, the Knights will rely on their Sophomore quarterback Darriel Mack Jr to carry them to their second straight American Athletic championship. While he must be excellent in this game, the running game and rushing defense must be at their best. Memphis has one of the best running backs in the country in Darrell Henderson (1699 yards, 19 touchdowns). If the Knights can’t stop him, they can’t win this game.

Prediction: UCF will be motivated in front of their home crowd and capture their second straight American Athletic championship. 27-23 UCF.

1 Alabama vs 4 Georgia- Preston Oliver 20’

This is the game college football fans have been waiting weeks for. The rematch. Saban versus Smart part II. The winner goes to the playoff. Well, if Alabama loses they can still likely make the playoff, but they won’t get the top seed. Georgia needs to win considering they are ranked fourth in the country, and there are two teams behind them that will jump the Bulldogs if they lose on Saturday. This will be a game of match ups. I already mentioned Nick Saban versus Kirby Smart. This will have a huge impact on the game as both are elite coaches in college football. Also, Tua Tagovailoa takes on the stingy Georgia defense. Georgia’s two headed monster in the backfield, Elijah Holyfield and D’Andre Swift take on the Alabama defensive front. This game will most likely be close and it will have a national championship atmosphere to it. If Georgia can hang around or perhaps lead the entire game, then they have a real shot at winning it.

Prediction: Tua gains his moment as he puts away the Bulldogs on a final drive. 31-21 Tide.

21 Northwestern vs 6 Ohio State- Preston Oliver 20’

In August, many would have predicted this to be a game between Ohio State or Michigan playing Wisconsin with the College Football playoff on the line. Last week, many predicted Michigan to play Northwestern and beat them to go to the playoff. But here we are, and Ohio State gets to play Northwestern after destroying Michigan 62-39 last weekend. The key for Ohio State is to start out hot early. That means getting stops on defense while scoring on the offensive end. Not only will that help them win the game, but it will look good in front of the College Football Playoff Committee. Dwayne Haskins was great last week against Michigan, and looks to continue his dominance again this week on a big stage. Northwestern is looking to upset the Buckeyes and go to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1996. But that cannot happen if their defense can’t stop Ohio State’s high powered offense. Their offense isn’t built to put up 40 points in a game, so their defense will have to be great if they want to win in Indy.

Prediction: Haskins and the Ohio State offense come out firing in the opening minutes in another Big Ten Championship win for the Buckeyes. 48-20 Ohio State.

Pittsburgh vs 2 Clemson- Chris Shutrump 20’

Clemson comes into this match up with a perfect 12-0 record and a Playoff spot on the line. The Tigers have been hands down the second most dominant team next to the Tide this year. Unlucky for Clemson, is their opponent is very upset savvy considering the Panthers stole the last game between these two in Death Valley. Pittsburgh also nearly squandered Notre Dames Playoff hopes in an early season match up with the Irish. All things considered, the upset probably won’t happen. College football fans, put all your hope in the Panthers this weekend, because as we move more and more into modern aged football, we come to realize its a two team sport. Folks, it’s Alabama and Clemson’s world, and we are just living in it. Don’t fight it, get used to it.

Prediction: Clemson will roll to their fourth consecutive ACC championship and lock up a Playoff spot; 52-21 Clemson.