11 Killed During a Mass Shooting at a Pittsburg Synagogue

Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, right, of Tree of Life/Or L'Simcha Congregation hugs Rabbi Cheryl Klein, left, of Dor Hadash Congregation and Rabbi Jonathan Perlman during a community gathering held in the aftermath of a deadly shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Lydia Colvin, Staff Writer

Inside the Tree of Life Congregation last Saturday, one of the worst attacks on Jews in US soil occurred, leaving 11 people dead and 6 injured.

The assailant, Robert D. Bowers, armed with an AR-15 rifle, shouted anti-semitic slurs while shooting at the congregants and throughout his attack.

As Bowers allegedly exchanged fire with officers, some of whom were injured, the gunman shouted to SWAT officers that he wanted “all Jews to die”’, authorities said.

Bowers is known to have posted anti-semitic rhetoric on his social media and posted his intent for this massacre on his social media right before he carried out this mass shooting.

His post said, “Screw the optics, I’m going in,” and is believe to have been posted right before shots were fired at the temple.

Many Jewish leaders have worried about something like this for a long time. Many temples had already heightened security before this event, and even more so afterwards.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
A police vehicle is posted near the Tree of Life/Or L’Simcha Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Monday, Oct. 29, 2018. Tree of Life shooting suspect Robert Gregory Bowers is expected to appear in federal court Monday. Authorities say he expressed hatred toward Jews during the rampage Saturday morning and in later comments to police. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

“This bubble that we’re in (in Columbus) isn’t so insulated,” said Adam Eisenberg, the immediate past president of Tifereth Synagogue. “We’ve hired additional armed guards so that 97% of the time someone is in the synagogue, it’s protected.”

Along with security, Jewish leaders and communities, including those in Ohio, have come together throughout this frightening time.

It feels very close to home when something like this happens in the Jewish community. We are all connected, and we all feel as if we are one, and if there’s someone in pain around the world then we are all suffering,” says Rabbi Rick Kellner,President of the Columbus Board of Rabbis.

The Jewish community has shown their resilience through this horrific event. Although, this year has been characterized by an increase in anti-semitic activity, the Jewish community continues to stick together through all of the hate.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
People attend a prayer vigil for the victims of the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting at Central Synagogue Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

About the Writer
Lydia Colvin, Staff Writer

Hi my name is Lydia Colvin and I am a junior at Liberty as well as a staff writer for the Patriot Press. This is my first year writing for the Patriot...