Album Review of WRLD ON DRUGS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Album Review of WRLD ON DRUGS

Bennett Abeson

On Friday Oct. 19, the collaboration album between artists Juice WRLD and Future, titled WRLD ON DRUGS was released. Juice WRLD is an up and coming artist out of Chicago, who achieved massive success with his single “Lucid Dreams” that came out in 2017. The duo released a single “Fine China” a few days before the release of the album.

The album contains a track list of 16 songs. There are 6 features scattered throughout the project. Young Scooter is featured on “Jet Lag”, Young Thug is on “Red Bentley”, Lil Wayne helps out with “Oxy”, Yung Bans is on “Different”, Gunna is on the track “Ain’t Livin Right” and lastly, Nicki Minaj is featured on “Transformer”.

Juice WRLD is fantastic on this album. He uses a light voice that flows really well over the melodic production present in many of the tracks. Future, however, drags down the album in my opinion. His voice doesn’t fit a lot of the beats, and his flow sounds choppy compared to Juice WRLD’s melodic flow. Also, Future seems to be present in the album much more than Juice WRLD, and I think that is a mistake. A perfect example of this is in the song “Astronauts”. Future takes the first and third verses, while Juice has the chorus and second verse. Future’s voice almost sounds too deep for the beat in the song, and it is there for much longer than Juice WRLD’s.  

The production in the album is very good. Much of it is light and melodic, which is a perfect fit for Juice WRLD, but like I said earlier, not Future. The beats are fairly simple, which fits the carefree sound of the album overall. The album is mostly for fun, and its purpose is to entertain without making the listener think too much, and in that aspect, the beats work perfectly.

The lyrics in the project are not anything special, but they aren’t objectively bad. Many of the choruses have more to them than a phrase repeated a few times, which seems to be a common theme within recent trap albums. Juice WRLD and Future generally rap about the use of drugs, girls and their immense wealth. This theme is shown in songs like “Oxy”, “Red Bentley” and “WRLD On Drugs”. There isn’t much substance throughout the album, as most of it is Future and Juice WRLD discussing their affection to the three topics previously mentioned.

The guest verses are all solid, and they act as nice periodic breaks from the similarity of the tracks. The most notable ones are Lil Wayne and Young Thug. Both of them add a unique voice that complements much of the album. Also, their flow works really well with the tone of the album.

The project isn’t bad, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Future sound extremely monotone throughout and the lack of emotion makes a lot of the tracks sound similar. Juice WRLD does a great job in terms of sound, and his talent is dragged down heavily by Future. The lyrics are pretty weak and surface level, but the goal of the album was meant to be a light-hearted trap album. The production and the guest verses are the only things that stay consistently good throughout the album. It’s a decent listen, but it’s not an album that will stick around for long.

Rating–  

Flow- 6/10

Sound- 6/10

Lyrics- 5/10

Production- 8/10

Guest Appearances- 8/10

Total- 6.6/10