Kavanaugh Case: The Basics

Photo Courtesy of AP Images

AP Images

Photo Courtesy of AP Images

Ellie Okonak and Paige Oatney

Over the past couple of weeks, the case involving Brett Kavanaugh has caused controversy and questioning regarding if Kavanaugh should be sworn into the Supreme Court. Though, many people don’t know the entire series of events that involve the opinions of the whole nation. Here are the nine basic events that sum up what happened:

• NOMINATION: July 9

President Trump announces his nomination of Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court. Kavanaugh is seen as having relatively conservative opinions, which would total the conservative justices to five if he is confirmed.

• CONFIRMATION HEARING BEGINS: Sept. 4

A confirmation hearing is a “hearing held by the US Senate to gather information on whether to approve or reject candidates for high federal office who are nominated by the president.” Kavanaugh was questioned about his stances on Roe v. Wade and gun rights, with recurring themes of Trump’s potential legal troubles. Republicans praised Kavanaugh with assurance that he will be confirmed in the following weeks.

• CHRISTINE FORD’S STORY REACHES WASHINGTON POST: Sept. 16

Christine Blasey Ford makes the decision to go public with her story after rumors began circulating a few days before. She details a high school party at which Kavanaugh allegedly tried to pull off her clothes and covered her mouth when she screamed. This would be considered sexual assault

• DEBORAH RAMIREZ’S STORY REACHES THE NEW YORKER: Sept. 23

Deborah Ramirez, a 53-year-old Yale Alumna, alleged sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh. During his 1983-84 freshman year at Yale, when they were in school together, Ramirez says that during a dorm party Kavanaugh exposed himself to her. Growing up, she was raised at a devoted Catholic in Connecticut and said that the experience left her shaken. Kavanagh was legally 18 when the incident happened, and swore under oath on September fourth that as a legal adult he had never “committed any verbal or physical harassment or assault of a sexual nature.”

• JULIE SWETNICK ALLEGES KAVANAUGH’S PARTY ATTENDANCE: Sept. 26

Julie Swetnick came forward as the third accuser against Kavanaugh. She reported to CNBC that “Kavanaugh and others in the early 1980s spiked the drinks of girls at high school parties with intoxicants to make it easier for them to be raped.” With this being the third accusation to come out, many believed that Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court would become less likely to succeed.

• HEARING OF FORD AND KAVANAUGH: Sept. 27

Both Ford and Kavanaugh appeared and are questioned before the Senate Judiciary Committee

HIGHLIGHTS FROM FORD’S OPENING STATEMENT:

“I am here today not because I want to be; I am terrified. I am here because I believe it is my civic duty to tell you what happened to me while Brett Kavanaugh and I were in high school.”

“I believed he was going to rape me.”

“It was hard for me to breathe, and I thought that Brett was accidentally going to kill me.”

HIGHLIGHTS FROM KAVANAUGH’S OPENING STATEMENT:

“I denied the allegation immediately, categorically, and unequivocally.”

“My family and my name have been totally and permanently destroyed by vicious and false accusations.”

“I know that any kind of investigation…will clear me.”

• TRUMP MOCKS FORD + REPUBLICAN BACKLASH: Oct. 2-3

At a rally in Mississippi, Trump mocks Ford’s testimony, saying (in an altered tone) “I had one beer…how did you get home? I don’t remember. How’d you get there? I don’t remember. Where is the place? I don’t remember.”

The following day, three republican Senators (Lisa Murkowski, Jeff Flake, Susan Collins) publicly criticize Trump for his comments. According to CNN, these Senators described his comments as “wholly inappropriate,” “insensitive and appalling,” and “just plain wrong.”

• NOMINATION IS ADVANCED + CONFIRMED TO SUPREME COURT: Oct. 5-6

The Senate voted on the sixth, with the final vote being 50 to 48, confirming Kavanaugh into the Supreme Court. This caused an uproar of protests at the Capitol Building, some pounding on the doors and induced 164 people to be arrested for “crowding, obstructing, or incommoding” according to NBC News.

• KAVANAUGH SWEARS IN- Oct. 8

On Monday Oct. 8, Kavanaugh is ceremoniously sworn in to the Supreme Court. His wife, two daughters, and President Trump were present at the White House. The ceremony was done relatively quietly, away from the public eye.

About the Writers
Ellie Okonak, Staff Writer

Ellie is a 10th grader at Liberty High School. She runs on the school cross country and track teams. This is Ellie's first year writing for the Patriot...

Paige Oatney, Staff Writer

Paige is a Sophomore at OLHS and this is her first year writing for Patriot Press. She plays for the OLHS JV volleyball team and enjoys reading and painting....