College Football Week 5 Column Chris Shutrump 20’ and Preston Oliver 20’

Chris Shutrump and Preston Oliver, Sports Columnist and Editor

4 Ohio State vs 9 Penn State- Chris Shutrump 20′

Ohio State takes it’s number four ranking and undefeated record to Beaver stadium to take on the Nittany Lions. The last time the Buckeyes played at Penn State they lost 24-21 costing them a chance at a Big Ten championship. Saturdays “white out” will prove tough for Dwayne Haskins and the young Ohio State offense. The Heisman spotlight will get even brighter on the third year Junior as he plays against one of the best crowds in the country. The Buckeyes will be without star defensive end Nick Bosa due to a groin injury he recently had surgically repaired. Trace McSorley will lead the blazing Penn State offense which has scored 50 or more points in it’s last three match ups. The Buckeyes have opened as four point road favorites this week. The winner of this highly anticipated match up will be in the driver’s seat of the Big Ten and probably in range to grab a spot in the College Football Playoff. It’s no big secret that this game has high playoff implications. It will all come down to which quarterback outplays the other. No matter what happens Saturday night, it’s guaranteed to be a wild one. 

Prediction: Penn State’s Beaver stadium will be rowdy as usual giving the Buckeyes a test in the first half. Dwayne Haskins will light it up in the fourth quarter as the Buckeyes solidify their spot in the College Football Playoff early in the season. Ohio State slips by 27-21

7 Stanford vs 8 Notre Dame- Preston Oliver 20′

Stanford will look to keep its undefeated season alive when they take on the eighth ranked Fighting Irish. They are coming off of an emotional win at Oregon, where they came back down 24-7 in the third quarter. This week will not get any easier, as they play an undefeated Notre Dame team on the road, and they defeated Michigan at home in week one. Stanford has to be feeling very confident in their offense with Quarterback K.J. Costello and star wide out J.J. Arcega Whiteside. They have been almost unstoppable this year and look to exploit Notre Dame’s 77th ranked passing defense. They can also balance their offensive attack by handing the ball off to All American running back Bryce Love. Notre Dame, on the other hand, has some question marks heading into Saturday’s game. They benched their starting Quarterback Brandon Wimbush against Wake Forest. Backup Ian Book did fine in his relief, but it is not good to have questions surrounding a quarterback in College Football. At the moment, Stanford seems to be trending in the right direction, and Notre Dame is the opposite.

Prediction: Stanford will put on an offensive show as they solidify themselves as a top college football contender as we enter October. 30-13 Stanford.  

12 West Virginia vs 25 Texas Tech- Chris Shutrump 20′

West Virginia is off to a hot 3-0 start thanks to Heisman caliber quarterback Will Grier throwing for 14 touchdowns to just three interceptions to open the year. The Mountaineers opened Big 12 play pummeling Kansas State at home. Texas Tech is also playing well as they opened conference play throttling 15th ranked Oklahoma State 41-17 in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Both squads have some of the best offensive minded head coaches in Kliff Kingsbury and Dana Holgorsen. This will be a classic Big 12 shootout between high powered offenses. The winner of this one will be first one to 50.  

Prediction: Neither team will have any struggles putting points on the board. Texas tech Impresses but still stand no chance against the Mountaineers. Will Grier shines as he improves his Heisman chances. West Virginia 45-17.

14 Michigan vs Northwestern- Preston Oliver 20′

Michigan will travel to Evanston, Illinois to take on the Northwestern Wildcats. Michigan has to be happy with how their season has started, and Northwestern has to be disappointed. Michigan has seen flashes of an elite defense and an effective offense under Junior Quarterback Shea Patterson. He has thrown for seven touchdowns and two interceptions so far this season. They are also heading into this game after throttling Nebraska 56-10 in Ann Arbor. Northwestern has not seen what they have wanted on both sides of the ball. They are 1-2 and lost to Akron at home. For a team that finished last season 10-3, this is not an ideal start. Expect Michigan to come out hot so they can start looking ahead to their next game.

Prediction: Shea Patterson throws a couple of touchdown passes early and Northwestern won’t be able to get anything going on offense. 35-10 Michigan.

20 BYU vs 11 Washington- Preston Oliver 20′

20th ranked BYU will be featured in a prime time non-conference against 11th ranked Washington. BYU is certainly a surprise team this season, and nobody expected them to win at sixth ranked Wisconsin two weeks ago. But here they are with another chance to make some noise and shake up the rankings. It will not be easy, as Washington is the 11th best team in the country and, also have a loss on their resume. The loser of this game will likely be eliminated from playoff contention. The winner will keep their hopes alive. BYU has often relied on their defense to win them games this season, while their offense has been terrible. They will need the offense to have a field day if they want any chance of winning, and Washington has the 17th best defense in the country.

Prediction: BYU will struggle to get points on the board and Washington’s defense continues to be a dominant unit. 26-10 Washington.

South Carolina vs 17 Kentucky- Chris Shutrump 20′

Kentucky has found itself with an unexpected win streak to start off the year. Terry Wilson and Benny Snell feature as the one-two punch in the backfield for the Kentucky Wildcats. The Oregon transfer quarterback has had a great year getting his team off to a hot 4-0 start. Snell has ran for 540 yards and seven touchdowns this season including four of those scores coming last week against a stingy Mississippi State defense. South Carolina has also opened it’s season strong winning three of their  first four games behind the arm of Jake Bentley. Bryan Edwards is the Gamecocks leading receiver this season. Deebo Samuel is also an x-factor for the Gamecocks offense. Kentucky has won the last four match ups with South Carolina. It will be hard to see this Kentucky team lose here snapping their winning streak. The Wildcats have enjoyed themselves to a 4-0 start including two wins in the SEC already. It has been a magical ride for the Kentucky Wildcats so far and it doesn’t end here.

Prediction: Benny Snell and Kentucky’s rush attack control the pace of the game as Kentucky rolls over the Gamecocks. Kentucky 28-10.